Friday, December 12, 2008

Holiday Spirits

It's been hard recently and I haven't wanted to get on a blog much. I know I so should be in the holiday spirits and it has been hard to get into. Josh had been pushing me to get a Christmas tree, so I finally gave in and we got one. It's my first Christmas tree that I can say is mine (well and Josh's too). It's more in the fact of I got to pick it out, and I got to decorate it how I wanted, in my whole life, I've never done that. When I was a kid and my mom was alive I would mimic her so I could decorate the tree exactly how she did it the next year. I wanted my tree to be something she would be proud of. Simple and elegant. Now I don't have that much, cuz we are poor, but I feel like I did it. Decorating the tree with my mom is one of the good memories I have.
Josh's family all collects Department 56 Christmas Villages. So I thought it would be good for me to set that up. It took me two hours. I'm leaving that village up til February. There are so many pieces, I had forgotten the effort it takes to put up, strangely I DO remember the effort it takes to take it down (I'll need a prayer for that one ;-) )

Josh is so great, he reminds me everyday how Christmas is his favorite time of year. So along with the tree and the village, I thought that if I listened to Christmas music everyday it would help. It has perked me up a little. I would get frustrated that because we don't have much money this year, I can't buy presents for everyone that I want to, I can't afford to send out cute Christmas cards Then I thought about Christmas shopping and Christmas cards, and I got negative about it. Why do we put ourselves through the craziness of shopping long and hard to find a present, just to have to possibly find a box for it, then nicely wrap that box, just so it can be torn open in 2.3 seconds? Then I thought WHY do we torture ourselves with Christmas cards? Finding the right cards, the torture of getting the family picture, addressing 3 million envelopes, stamping all of them, just so people can look at it and throw the card away.
Thats when I remembered last year and the excitement of my husband when I surprised him with tickets to his favorite music band. Then I thought of my little Ian and next year and the year after that, the excitement I will get to see on his face when he rips open his presents. That thought made it worth it to me.
I thought about how much I love seeing the cute pictures friends send seeing their kids grow, and imaging everyone in the picture going crazy right up until the photographer says, "smile", and then you have this great picture. I love reading what friends have been up to through the year. So what the heck is my problem?
I haven't incorporated my Savior into my Christmas this year. I have been so utterly focused on all my families issues and wondering how things are going to work out, that I have not once thought about Him. I haven't stopped to think what can I do to serve him and others. I have forgotten that I don't have to buy presents in order to "do something nice for someone". Now I know we should be thinking about this always and not just during the Christmas season, but it is kinda pushed on us more this time of year. So I'm going to stop dwelling on the fact that I can't just go out and buy stuff (because that is the easy route), but find other alternatives to helping others, always.

Whenever Josh has seen me a little down, he always tells me, "I don't care about presents or what we do this year for Christmas, all that matters is that I have you and Ian." I still don't know how I got so lucky to have married such a good man. So today I had my brother be our photographer (because once again we are poor, I know... who isn't these days, right?) and took our little family picture. So I could be reminded that it's my little family that matters, and most important putting my Savior first.

13 comments:

Andrews Family said...

Well said girl! I'm glad Josh has managed to knock the bah-humbug out of you. :) It was awesome to read your thoughts on the Savior and this time of year, what a great reminder for everyone. Love love love the family picture!! Ian's hair cracks me up!! Oh, and enjoy that village this year....because next year it won't even been an option with that little guy of your toodling around. :) Miss ya!

LIZ said...

Your family picture turned out great!

It has been kind of hard for me to get in the Christmas mood too because for me Christmas is about Christ but also Family, and since we will not be spending it with family I am a bit grinchish.

It does not matter how much you have, it is who you have in your life to share it with. All that crap ends up in boxes in the basement any way.

I hope you guys have a great Christmas!

Kayla said...

Great picture! I love your hair. Ian is ADORABLE! I want to see him. I wish I could drive up and visit. Someday....And I give a big "Amen" to all you said. It's tough times economically and this Christmas might be meager. But it is Christ and our families that make it all worth it.

Anonymous said...

Aw! Your blog got me all teary-eyed! I hate being a girl sometimes. So emotional at certain times!!!;-)
I agree, that picture is super adorable! What a cute little family!

Tran said...

Traci, you are an amazing girl and mom.. I love the way you write and how open you are with everything. Christmas is truly about Christ and his birth. One suggestion about sending out cards is simply to not mail them. What you can do is email it to everyone as it's just the same as mailing it. Happy Christmas girl.. Love the family pic.

The Coolest Allen Family said...

Love your family photo! It is beautiful! Thanks for the reminder as to what is truly important this Christmas season.

Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

Your picture is so cute. Love Ians hair...lol. Its hard to get through the holidays when you feel grumpy about them. i have had many of those types of holidays. I am determined to not have one this year. Keep up the good spirits and ejoy what you DO have. I can't wait to see you next year. :)

Monica Polad said...

Traci,
Your post was amazing. I love it. I get feeling the same way. Thanks for reminding me what is important. I miss you guys so much and I can't wait to see you at Christmas. I LOVE your family picture! You guys look so so so cute. If only you weren't wearing byu colors!!!!! Love you guys tons and tons!

Torrie said...

That is such a cute family picture! I'm sorry you are feeling more humbug than merry this year. It can be frustrating when things aren't going how you would like. When Ian is older, you will realize how fun Christmas is again. His excitement will make everything worth it. For now, just enjoy having your boys around and the reasons you have to be grateful this year. And enjoy that little village while you can. You won't have to worry about taking it down next year because Ian can have it torn down in 3 seconds flat.

benallredfamily said...

Your picture is so so cute! Your little family is a dorable. I miss you guys and cant wait to see you little one. I wanted to do cards this year but I always put it off and I never got it done. We love and miss you guys
Autumn

TJ and Shaylee Voss said...

I loved what you had to say! I totally agree! Your family picture is so cute! We hope you guys have a great Christmas!

Unknown said...

Beautiful post. I didn't send Christmas cards and I don't care. HA! oh well. it really is about remembering the love of the Savior and knowing you have a family who loves you.

LOVE YOU!

Jeni said...

Your little guy is so cute! We'd love for you to come visit. Just let me know once the holiday craziness is over and we'll figure out a time. Maybe we could do Sunday dinner at my mom's?